Sunday, December 31, 2017

Ending 2017 with Massa Nera

Last post of the year, so some pretty cool stuff came around this year. Plenty of fresh new bands in this dying DIY scene and plenty of trash to add on tie side. I've been pretty tired from work and my days off are the days I hang with my GF so I haven't really sat down or even bothered to buy records and shit. So I am back with Massa Nera. What can I say?

This band is from New Jersey that I discovered last year. The band put out a 3 song EP (Which seems more of a compilation than a debut EP since 3 songs were from compilations) called Will it be enough for you to keep going? I really liked this release. There is a second EP in spanish called No estamos separados which refers to "We are not separated" It is another EP which both were released by the now defunct label Parking lot records. Both EP's released last year offer what Massa Nera is all about. This year though the band released a debut vinyl under Middle man records and other lables like my boy David's Zegema beach records. After hearing the LP (About a week ago) I kinda digged it although I felt there was too much post rock guitar ambiance going on which reminded me a little of Thisismenothinkingaboutyou. Other than that it was a excellent release. Massa Nera can't be exactly described as "they sound like..." besides the post rock elements I heard on the LP. This is a band I like to see more for 2018. The record comes with a cool "classic" insert. I am a bit confused with the artwork of the cover but I guess I have to imagine to myself what it is. Nonetheless it is cool to see my peoples do some spanish thrown in screamo out there. To see 5 labels back up this release you know its serious shit and a record to look forward to. If you haven't heard of this band right now its a good time to pick up this LP. Middle man records is selling it for 5.00 right now (as of this posts date) it is worthy of adding to this years collection.
Bandcamp
Will it be enough for you to keep going? EP

No estamos separados EP (Both tape versions)

Los pensamientos de una cara palida

No comments:

Post a Comment